Critical Skills® (Soft Skills)
Critical Skills® is a one-day program offered throughout the year. In-house training is also available.
Dec. 17, 2019 – ABC Training Center, Madison
Mar. 19, 2020 – ABC Training Center, Madison
Class Times: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Registration Deadline: Three weeks prior to each class
Fees: $169 per registrant
Construction U courses are for ABC members only! Learn more about membership in ABC of Wisconsin.
Critical Skills® is soft skills training developed by the construction industry for the construction industry. Critical Skills® topics are designed to generate honest and productive discussions employees and field leaders face each day. Each of the topics covers several key workforce issues facing construction and service contractors today.
Who Should Enroll
This program is for field-level employees and others who want to develop soft skills, including the ability to communicate effectively. All members of work crews can benefit as well, including journey-level workers, supervisors and employers.
• The communication model
• Active listening
• Barriers to effective communication
• Listening to (and following Instructions)
• Team or group?
• Learning from sports teams
• Team member styles
• The team leader’s role
• Building an effective intergenerational team
• Construction correspondence
• Helpful tips for filling out forms
• Reading skills in the construction workplace
• Professionalism and follow through
• Traits of a construction professional
• Jobsite culture, respect, & personal responsibility
• Eight sure ways to lower job productivity
• Timeless solutions to solving productivity challenges