WIS. DELLS, MAY 19, 2022 — Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) of Wisconsin recognized Wayne Belanger for 37 years of service as part of the ABC of Wisconsin Apprenticeship Graduation Banquet as he prepares for retirement later this year.
Belanger, who was first hired in the apprenticeship program back in 1985, was instrumental in establishing the ABC of Wisconsin Apprenticeship program. The goal was to have the Apprenticeship Standards through the state of Wisconsin approved within 10 years of Wayne’s hiring, but they were approved in two years. By the fall of 1988, the program had enrolled more than 300 apprentices. Today, the program is educating roughly 2,000 active apprentices.
“There are many people over the decades who deserve credit for building our apprenticeship program, but none of those people are more deserving than Wayne,” said John Mielke, president of ABC of Wisconsin who referred to Belanger as “the father of the ABC of Wisconsin Apprenticeship Program.”
After helping the Associated Builders and Contractors of Wisconsin establish a successful apprenticeship program, Wayne Belanger transitioned into establishing educational programs for construction management team members. The program, Construction U, includes courses such as The Emerging Leader, Project Supervision, Project Coordinator, and Critical Skills.
WB Training Accomplishments/Timeline
- Hired November 18, 1985, at age 30. Attended ABC of Wisconsin Fall 1985 Leadership Conference—Goal was to run an approved apprenticeship program in 10 years
- Worked with the ABC of Wisconsin Education Committee to develop apprenticeship standards.
- The ABC of Wisconsin Apprenticeship Standards were approved August 3, 1987.By the fall of 1988, we contracted and were training more than 300 apprentices.
- 1993 Appointed to the Sate of Wisconsin Apprenticeship Advisory Council. Longest continuously serving member at 24 years. Chaired several sub-committees and was involved in in several initiatives, including Transition to Trainer.
- Appointed to the ABC National Director of Education Advisory Council in 1987. Chair in 1993 and 1994.
- Created the ABC National Education Professional Orientation and guidebook.
- Presented at countless national conferences.
- The Education Update column appeared monthly in Merit Shop Talk for 27 straight years.
- ABC of Wisconsin currently trains nearly 2,000 active apprentices. This is the largest merit shop construction apprenticeship program in the country.
- Conducted first Supervisory Training August 1986.
- 2015-2016, Construction U started with Emerging Leader, Project Supervision, andCritical Skills. Thousands trained in these in-person programs and courses
- During the pandemic, Construction U Live Online was created, expanding the reason of soft skills, supervisory, and leadership courses nationwide.
- November 2021, Construction U On-Demand was created. More than 300 registrations to date.