By Maggie Murphy, Managing Editor, Construction Executive
Mechanical subcontractor Dave Jones, Inc. is a second generation, family-owned business providing plumbing, HVAC, fire protection and electrical services. The Madison, Wisconsin-based company has a shared vision to be the most revered by its people, customers, partners and communities at large.
When Dave Jones started the business in 1977, he displayed the value that success cannot be measured on revenues alone—thus beginning a commitment to community support that continues to the present day.
Dave Jones, Inc.’s 475 employees are strongly committed to the communities in which they live and work. The team offers support to a variety of causes by volunteering time and making financial contributions to organizations in need. That kind of behavior is encouraged from the top down, and the company spotlights employees who exhibit exceptional dedication to various causes.
One of the company’s core values is giving back. The selection process for which organizations they support are considered for those that align with their core values, the urgency of support their communities may need at a certain time and specific donation requests that are important to the team. They recently won Wisconsin’s Gifts for a Cure Award for their outstanding efforts.
A few examples of organizations they have supported include:
- Swinging for a Cure, an annual golf outing supporting Cystic Fibrosis. The company has raised just shy of a million dollars by hosting and covering all associated costs of three golf outings to date.
- Second Harvest Food Bank. Numerous monetary donations have been made, and their office site has been a host for collection of food donations. Employees contribute to this cause every year by either bringing in food or making financial contributions.
- Habitat for Humanity, which has been a focus of monetary and in-kind work for 30 years. The company has pledged money for new neighborhoods, and Greg Jones, the company’s CEO, has served on their board of directors and as co-chair for their Capital Campaign.
- American Family Children’s Hospital. The company purchases gifts and delivers them every Christmas for the children spending their holidays at the hospital.
- AFCH Ronald McDonald House, which houses families that have an ill child who is a patient at the American Family Children’s Hospital. The company donated all the plumbing labor for a 15,000 square-foot addition and a renovation of 17,000 square feet within the last couple of years.
- Dave’s Fave. Dave Jones, Inc. has its own private-label cinnamon whiskey, and all proceeds are donated to charity every year. Each year the team gets involved by nominating a charity of their choice to be considered.
The company takes deep pride in their ability to support these organizations, and they understand their responsibility as business owners to support their team and communities.
“Giving back to me means so much more than traditionally ‘giving back’ by donating money to your favorite charity or fundraiser. Simple random acts of kindness to your neighbor or someone in need can be very self-gratifying while making a difference in that person’s life. Donating your time can make a huge impact whether it be to your family, a stranger or your community. Dave Jones, Inc. does both, and I am happy to be a part of that,” says Sharon Wagner, operations director at Dave Jones, Inc.
Dave Jones, Inc. is a member of ABC of Wisconsin. This article courtesy of Construction Executive, May 2021, a publication of Associated Builders and Contractors. Copyright 2021. All rights reserved.