Speakers for this event
The Construction Classroom
Mike is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point with a degree in Business Management. He has over 30 years construction experience as Owner and Manager of construction businesses in Wisconsin. Mike has served on the ABC Wisconsin Board of Directors and was the driving force behind the creation of the ABC Heavy Equipment Operator Apprenticeship program, having taught the program for several years. Currently, Mike teaches several Construction leadership and management courses for ABC Wisconsin. In addition, he continues to travel throughout the United States and Canada teaching construction professionals and sharing a lifetime of “real experiences” in and personal enthusiasm for construction.
The Construction Classroom
Course Overview: This course focuses on project delivery, from the initial estimate to closeout. Students will learn the basics of estimating, discovering why projects go wrong, examining the science of
Course Overview: This course focuses on project delivery, from the initial estimate to closeout. Students will learn the basics of estimating, discovering why projects go wrong, examining the science of production and examining common reasons for cost overruns. It will also teach about control project budgets, and how to efficiently plan and maintain projects.
Who Should Attend: This course is for those who help manage the delivery of construction projects. This would include project superintendents, project coordinators, assistant project managers and newer project managers and estimators. This program is also suitable for field personnel who would like to move into project coordination or management. The course is not designed for experienced project managers.
Format: ABC of Wisconsin uses the GoToWebinar format for online classes. The Construction Project Delivery sessions consist of 90-minute to 2-hour live online sessions that provides participants with the knowledge they need to build their project coordination skills. Once a person has registered and is approved, an automated invitation will be sent. Click on the link at the appropriate time and follow the prompts.
Workbooks: Before each session starts, a PDF of the workbook will be sent to download. The workbook is a tool participants can use as part of the program. It includes exercises and activities that can be shared with employers and team members.
1. Introduction to Construction Planning and Scheduling – Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm CDT. 11:00 pm – 1:00 pm EDT. Introduction to basic construction planning and scheduling, which includes learning commonly-used construction scheduling methods.
2. Project Setup through Closeout – Thursday, May 29, 2021, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm CDT. 11:00 pm – 1:00 pm EDT. Discover typical construction project workflows; the contractor-subcontractor relationship, including proper communication; learn typical checklist items used in setting up projects; get tips on managing the change order process.
3. Production, Leadership and Project Delivery – Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm CDT. 11:00 pm – 1:00 pm EDT. Explore the supervisor’s role in successful project delivery; learn the definition of productivity and how to benchmark productivity and look at the relationships between leadership, project delivery and productivity.
4. Delivering a Profitable Project – Thursday, June 3, 2021, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm CDT. 11:00 pm – 1:00 pm EDT. Examine a project’s cost basis while looking at it from a supervisor’s and a project manager’s viewpoint; learn the primary costs in a typical project and their origins in the estimate; discuss drivers which have direct impact on the typical project and their origins in the estimate and discuss drivers which have direct impact on the project’s cost.
5. Improving Project Delivery – Tuesday, June 8, 2021, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm CDT. 11:00 pm – 1:00 pm EDT. Covers use of scheduling, costs, and field management; covers how the supervisor’ management and leadership skills become key in productivity improvement.
Note: This is course 5 of the 5-course Project Coordinator Program, but can be taken as a stand-alone course.
(Tuesday) 10:00 am - 12:00 pm CST